Like a zillion or so other people, I went into a completely irrational state of panic on Wednesday when I heard that...

Like a zillion or so other people, I went into a completely irrational state of panic on Wednesday when I heard that Google Reader was going to be shut down at the end of June.  There's definitely going to be a shakeout among the various RSS services over the next couple months, but for now I've decided to go with NewsBlur.  A good feature set, workable iOS apps, a responsive developer ... and a nicely-revamped UI in the works (at dev.newsblur.com).  
http://www.newsblur.com

Comments

  1. Tell me what the point of a reader is?  I never knew really and still don't.  Is it just to read everything in one place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the short version is that it's a way to set up a single page to view all the headlines from your favorite news sites, blogs, and so on.  If you're a news junkie or tech junkie or something, it's incredibly useful ... but you probably have to be slightly geeky to fully appreciate it, too.

    I have the RSS feeds from several dozen websites set up on a Google Reader page ... and that way I can see if there's any news that's interesting to me on any of those sites just by looking at that one page.  I'd really miss that if it were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you view LJ with the free version?  Even the friends only posts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried it, but I don't think it would be the best solution for something like LJ, because I think LJ users can set how much (or little) of an entry gets sent to their RSS feed.

    I do use it to keep up with some people who use Blogger, but mostly it's useful for news sites, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Installed the Lion upgrade on my iMac this morning, though not without difficulty